Sunday, February 23, 2014

Globalization

Throughout high school and college, globalization was drilled into my brain.  Especially as an student of the school of business, I feel that globalization is the future. It seems like our world is becoming more connected.  Currency has exchange rates and now we are able to travel thousands of miles away in a single day. One hundred years ago, the only way to communicate with anyone in Great Britain was by letter.  Now, I can send an email or even FaceTime with my cell phone. I once talked to someone in Thailand via FaceTime.  The time difference made talking to each other difficult, but at least it was possible to talk to each other on the same day. Technological innovations have become a gateway to connect people all over the world.
When I was in high school, my teachers told me that taking a foreign language class would make me more marketable. People who are able to speak and understand other languages have a huge advantage and are more likely to get hired for a job. I think globalization and cultural diversity go hand in hand.  In order to expand a business, we have to understand a culture's needs. For example, McDonald's makes alterations in their menu items depending on the country it is located in. The people of India do not eat cow meat, so McDonald's uses soy burgers instead.  The only way to be successful in the business world is to globalize by being culturally sensitive.


3 comments:

  1. I totally agree that cultural diversity and globalization go hand in hand. We need to appreciate and embrace diversity instead of discriminating against people of different backgrounds. I think learning other languages is important, and I wish I could speak another language besides English and the few words I know in Spanish and French. I never knew that McDonald's is culturally sensitive; that is so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you both, Kelsie and Kate! We should always remember to appreciate and accept diversity because without it we'd be very boring. And I think that is so interesting the way that McDonald's does that throughout the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is incredible that you got to facetime with someone overseas. I am sure that was really interesting. I have always wanted to do some kind of study abroad.

    ReplyDelete