Sunday, March 9, 2014

Lens Shifting

When I was 13, my family traveled to Niagara Falls.  Because we were there, we decided to travel over into Canada.  Back then, we only needed identification to cross the border.  That was the only time I have ever been in another country.  Until this year, I had never needed a passport.  As I was growing up, I was always told "America is the best country.  Why would you ever want to leave?"  My family has taken many vacations, but they have all been to destinations in the United States.  However, my parents decided that this spring break, we would all go to the Bahamas! I had to have my passport expedited so it would be here in time.  I'll admit though, I am nervous about traveling internationally.  Mostly, I just worry that I will do something to offend someone.
In one of my classes, we have been studying diversity and how it effects business strategies.  For example, if you eat dinner with a Japanese client, it is important to slurp your food.  That way, they know you are enjoying it.  If we did that during a business meeting in America, everyone would think we were rude!  Also, if you complement the furniture of some Arabs or Africans, they will feel awkwardly obliged to give it to you!  We might find these things silly, but it is important to do our research on the countries we are visiting, so we don't offend anyone or embarrass ourselves.

Although, I love The Office, I'm afraid Michael Scott would be really good at offending people of other cultures...  By the end of this semester, I hope to be a lot more open minded than he is!




No comments:

Post a Comment