Sunday, April 6, 2014

21st Century Skills

As a future accountant, it is crucial I have 21st century skills such as a proficiency in current technology, cultural awareness, and a postsecondary education.

I know I talk about cultural awareness in almost every blog I have written, but that is only because it is one of the best 21st century skills a person can have.  Every day, our economy is becoming more global.  Someone who can understand and appreciate other cultures would be an asset to the company and would have a greater chance for promotion.

Another important skill to have on your resume is that you have some postsecondary education.  In the year 2000, 59% of people employed had some type of postsecondary education.  In order to become a Certified Public Accountant (CPA), we are required to have 150 college credit hours, 30 of which must be in upper level accounting courses.  Without a college degree, there is no way people would trust me with their taxes!

Technology is always changing.  Accountants use technology all the time.  We spend the majority of our time in front of a computer plugging in numbers.  I have been applying for graduate assistantships lately.  Fortunately, I have had several departments express their interest in me because of my proficiency with Microsoft Excel.  I never truly realized how important that skill was until I began looking for jobs.


2 comments:

  1. I think its awesome that you want to be an accountant! Thats gonna be a great career, Communication is defiantly a big part of it also. Great article Kelsie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quick couple of question, Whats your view on Turbo Tax? Is it work doing your own taxes or would one be better off consulting with a CPA?

    ReplyDelete